Product finderDiscover our products for topical application
Key issues affecting topical formulation are active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) instability, poor API solubilisation and skin irritation that minimises patient compliance.
The use of Super Refined™ excipients addresses these formulation concerns and maximises the value of your topical drug product. Our high purity range optimises troubled formulations by:
- Improving stability of both drug and formulation.
- Reducing oxidation potential.
- Decreasing cellular irritation to improve patient compliance.
- Maximising drug targeting on the skin surface.
To demonstrate enhanced API stability, we monitored the percentage of the API lidocaine that could be recovered over time when incorporated into Super Refined Crodamol™ OO (oleyl oleate) versus standard compendial oleyl oleate. It can be seen that lidocaine maintains its integrity and stability far better in Super Refined Crodamol OO, with significantly less API being recovered from standard compendial grade oleyl oleate.
To demonstrate oxidative stability, the peroxide value of Super Refined Crodamol OO was compared to standard compendial grade oleyl oleate over a 40 day study in accelerated ageing temperatures. It was noted that the Super Refined excipient maintained a low peroxide value while the standard compendial grade exhibited an approximate 70-fold increase in peroxide value, indicating that it has undergone significant primary oxidation.
The efficacy of our dermatological ingredients is demonstrated by clinical studies across a range of therapies including skin hydration and barrier repair applications, emollient therapy and wound healing.
Eczema is a group of inflammatory skin disorders characterised by itchiness, dryness, scaling, sensitivity, cracking, and inflammation. Our dermatological solutions are designed to address these symptoms in a range of convenient formulations.
Star Ingredient: Medilan™ (Wool Fat PhEur; Modified Lanolin NF), approved by the British Skin Foundation
- Replenishes the skin’s essential lipids.
- Repairs the natural skin barrier to reduce transepidermal water loss.
- Excellent skin hydration properties.
- Provides long lasting emollience.
Psoriasis typically presents as raised red, flaky, crusty patches of skin covered with silvery scales that can be itchy and sore. Topical psoriasis formulations are intended for long term patient use and are tailored to the different areas of the body on which psoriasis can occur, eg shampoos for scalp psoriasis and emollient sticks for convenient spot application during the day. Star Ingredient: Crodamol ISIS™ (Isostearyl Isostearate)
- Substantive, non-occlusive emollient.
- Works with the lipids in the skin to achieve optimum hydration and moisturisation, outperforming artificial occlusion with petrolatum.
Formulating acne products requires light, non-occlusive ingredients to soothe inflamed skin, optimise the performance of anti-acne actives and encourage repeat use of the product.
Star Ingredient: Super Refined™ Arlasolve™ DMI (Dimethyl Isosorbide)
- High purity, clear liquid epidermal penetration enhancer.
- Excellent solubiliser.
- Improves formulation and API stability.
- Enhances spreading properties.
Baby skin has a delicate and fragile structure which easily becomes dry or irritated due to urine contact, laundry detergent residues and central heating and air conditioning. Formulating for baby skin requires mild, effective moisturising ingredients and a dosage form that is quick and easy to apply or use in the bath.
Star Ingredient: Arlamol™ PS11E (Polyoxypropylene Stearyl Ether PhEur)
- Excellent polar solvent for a wide range of actives.
- Non-occlusive emollient offering a velvety skin feel.
- Enables compatibility of polar and non-polar oils, making it possible to couple two actives into one product.
- Produces liquid crystal oleosomes when used with Brij S2, Brij S721 and Crodacol CS90. Oleosome systems enable longer lasting skin hydration, pH flexibility, and increased salt tolerance and stability.
Why work with us
- In-house technical experts to provide formulation support and troubleshooting during product development
- Access model formulation solutions for common conditions such as eczema, acne and psoriasis
- Our regulatory specialists take active roles within key industry regulatory bodies and have extensive experience in the submission and progression of new monographs. We are practised in supporting the use of novel and innovative excipients in customer formulations.
Topical recommended products
Discover our product offerings for topical applications
Super Refined™ PEG 400
The Super Refined PEG range is a series of Super Refined polyethylene glycols, offering pharmaceutical formulators highly purified hydrophilic excipients that can enhance active and formulation...
Super Refined™ DMI
High purity liquid for use with poorly soluble hydrophilic and hydrophobic actives. Enhances the formulation and API stability in transdermal delivery systems. Recommended topical usage levels of...
Super Refined™ Beeswax
Highly purified beeswax used in sustained release oral dosage forms and to increase viscosity of creams and ointments. Modifies melting point of suppository bases. Recommended topical usage levels of...
Super Refined™ IPM
Highly purified version of Crodamol IPM. Solvent used in topical formulations. Rapid absorption into the skin. Recommended topical usage levels of 0.5-5%.
Super Refined™ Brij™ O2
Super Refined Brij O2 is a high purity, naturally derived alcohol ethoxylate. It can be utilised as a solubiliser or in emulsifier systems where a low HLB value is required. The material has been...
Cithrol™ DPHS pharma
Solvent-free, versatile polymeric emulsifier, offering a solution to a wide variety of W/O applications. Able to produce exceptionally stable, very low viscosity W/O emulsions with a unique light skin...
Our penetration enhancers deliver more of your active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to the target location in order to improve product efficacy and lower API costs.Learn more
Skin Barrier Repair
The skin is the body’s primary defense mechanism against outside agents, and its integrity is of primary importance to ensure skin moisturisation, protection, and delivery.Learn more
Emollients and skin hydration
We offer a comprehensive selection of emollients to meet your topical formulation needs, from esters and ethers to lanolin and lanolin derivatives and Super Refined™ vegetable oils.Learn more
Film forming polymers
OleoCraft™ oil structuring polymers create films on the skin, delivering water and wear resistant benefits to topically applied products, via the oil and OleoCraft polymer matrix formed on the skin surface.Learn more